Instrument panel

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: Instrument panel

Postby winston » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:34 am

I would agree with you. I redid the 226 schematic. Part was missing on my first attempt.

sutto55
Volunteer Poster

Postby sutto55 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:47 pm

Easiest way to check if the Alternator is working.

First off, is it an Alternator or Dynamo/generator? your post says Alternator and the schematic shows a Generator. Not that anything below would be different.

An Alternator outputs AC (sort of!). Some Alternators have an internal diode network to rectify the 3 phase to DC which is required for battery charging. Most rectify externally. A Generator is DC output always.

Do this test after the engine has been shut down for at least an hour. This allows the battery voltage to settle to nominal value.
With meter on DC Volts and engine stopped measure battery voltage.
Start Engine
With meter on DC Volts and engine running measure battery voltage.

If the voltage is higher in the second test, the altenator is charging.

This doesn't guarantee it is charging to full capacity, but does show if there is any output. Depending on battery type the charging voltage will be around 13.4 to 13.8 Volts

sutto55

GBuford4372
Volunteer Poster

Postby GBuford4372 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:56 pm

Thanks for the info. However, I finally got a positive read on Dynamo, so now it's on to the regulator. Pretty sure that's the culprit

sutto55
Volunteer Poster

Postby sutto55 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:22 pm

OK, From your previous post you say
" It looks like the regulator has a red wire from it to the starter where it jumps back to to the battery thru the positive wire. Since I have nothing at the battery, it must not be coming from the regulator."

When you say you have nothing at the battery, what do you mean? Nothing at the battery means a flat battery, but if the tractor starts I am guessing a
mistake with taking the measurement and perhaps a bit of a jump to say the regulator is bad..

Sorry for questioning you skills, but I have been troubleshooting electrical problems for the last 50 years and have been called out in the middle of the night many times because someone read a meter incorrectly, so its always at the top of my list

GBuford4372
Volunteer Poster

Postby GBuford4372 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:30 pm

Ok. Sorry. I get 12.6 volts at battery while the tractor is running. Nothing meaning upwards of that indicating a charge going back to battery. I have to charge my battery manually. My meter obviously wasn't reading AC well, so I got a new meter and now when I test the wires at the Dynamo, I get 13.6 volts at idle. At 1500 rpms, I'm getting upwards of 15 volts, and at 2000, it's around 18 volts. I also am getting the voltage into the regulator as per checking it there. Nothing coming out of regulator though. I am assuming now that the regulator is the sticking loint. I hope this clears it up a little.

sutto55
Volunteer Poster

Postby sutto55 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:48 pm

OK, That makes sense.

Yes, Probably regulator.

Return to “Tech Support”