yanmar 336d

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

kxe98y
Volunteer Poster

yanmar 336d

Postby kxe98y » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:30 pm

Today when in the mud something clicked and my front wheel drive stopped working. I took the driveshaft cover back and the driveshaft turns as well as the castle nut turns. Does this sound like an axle has broken and if so is there an easy way to check other than taking it all apart.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: yanmar 336d

Postby winston » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:42 pm

Am I correct in thinking the turning castle nut is the one on the differential pinion shaft? In other words you are saying the input pinion shaft is turning? I'm sometimes slow so be patient with me. Not sure how you did that test but wondering if maybe jack up one side front end. Engage transmission and 4 wheel drive (engine not running) and then turn the jacked up wheel, or try to.

kxe98y
Volunteer Poster

Postby kxe98y » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:18 pm

Thank you for the reply, Winston. I took the cover off the driveshaft then with the tractor in gear but the 4 wheel drive in neutral was able to turn the driveshaft by hand. The front wheels were on the ground and the driveshaft turned freely. I then engaged the front-wheel-drive and I could not turn the driveshaft. This leads me to believe it is okay at the transmission but not at the front differential. Now I have jacked up the front wheels and when i turn 1 wheel the other turns in the opposite direction so I don't think it is an axle. Before I take it apart I am not sure how the coupler works for the driveshaft 9that would be the easy button or I have snaped the pinion gear as when I turn the driveshaft by hand I can see the castle nut turning.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:54 pm

I am still confused (not unusual). Maybe your drive balls or splines on drive shaft are bad or missing. #34 here. https://www.hoyetractor.com/CTGY/3364WDINT-NEW.htm

The night has passed and after reading your last post it would sure indicate your pinion shaft could be broken. Never heard of this before and still doesn't seem likely.

kxe98y
Volunteer Poster

Postby kxe98y » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:32 am

I took the front differential apart and the cage that holds the spider gears broke all 6 bolts off where it joins to the crown gear. Everything else looks good. On order and happy that's all that I broke.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:03 am

Interesting, I worked on an FX24D awhile back that had that exact thing happen to the rear differential. However it did break a tooth off the ring gear when it happened.

Return to “Tech Support”