F14D electrical and idle issues

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

Beecrazy
Volunteer Poster

F14D electrical and idle issues

Postby Beecrazy » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:52 am

I’ve had the tractor for a few years. Recently the the electrical warning light comes on when I start the tractor and has been staying on for longer and longer periods of time. It’s now takes over an hour to go out, if it does go out before I shut off the tractor. I’ve put a voltmeter to the battery while running and off; voltages seemed ok, seems to be charging the battery. Tractor starts easily. I just don’t want to be replacing that bulb; I’m not sure how to get to it.

Today I looked at the fan belt and it seems loose and tried to tighten it. I had a heck of a time getting the alternator to move, once I did get movement I wasn’t able to figure out how to keep the belt tight while tightening the bolts. Is there a trick to getting the tension right? The manual says 13mm of play, It’s got more than that. I started the tractor (light still came on) and looked at the alternator and it appears not to be turning at a constant speed.

Also, I’ve noticed that my idle speed at startup has been getting faster. In the past, starting idle was 11. Lately it’s been 12-13. Today after trying to tighten the belt it was 15. The behavior is not entirely consistent, it varies every time it starts; but it is trending upward. It’s as if something is sticking somewhere. Any suggestions on where to checking?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: F14D electrical and idle issues

Postby winston » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:49 pm

Not sure I am understanding everything. I am not familiar with the F14 but would think tightening the dynamo belt should be as simple as loosening two bolts (maybe nuts), pulling some tension on the belt and tightening them up. Is it possible your belt in incorrect or worn to the point it has run out of adjustment??

Am I correct the idle speeds are actually 1100, 1200, 1300 and 1500rpm. If that is correct and you have gone from the low to the high then I would think something is binding in your throttle linkage. Could be hand throttle or foot throttle. Need to take a good close look at it as you work it back and forth.

Beecrazy
Volunteer Poster

Postby Beecrazy » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:14 pm

I looked at it again today. I realized I’m at the end of the adjustment bar; it can’t move any farther out. Now I wonder if I have an oversized belt and it’s worn over the years to the point the alternator is slipping. Although it’s not squeaking. What has got me stumped is the warning light that does turn off after running for about an hour. Won’t an alternator just stop working?

I really don’t want to end up replacing a burned out bulb. I figure, I’ve got to replace the belt; just not sure about the alternator/dynamo. The battery must be getting charged or I won’t be able to start the tractor. If there is slippage, I can’t get a good test of the alternator but I’m confused by the warning light turning off. Can the bad alternator trip the warning light and still keep a battery charged? Or should I be looking at something else that could be tripping the warning light?

As for the idle issue, I found that it was sticking at the engine block. I hit it with WD40 and it freed up.

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:36 am

Start by getting the correct new belt to achieve proper adjustment. Then see what happens. https://www.hoyetractor.com/PROD/FB-33.htm

Beecrazy
Volunteer Poster

Postby Beecrazy » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:02 pm

Your right. I just hate to pay more in shipping than the price of the item.

As I’ve been thinking about replacing the belt, I’m concerned I won’t be able to get to the mounting bolt on the block. I barely had enough room to get on it with a socket from the top. When I tried to get on it from the front; but I would need to get a longer socket or a shorter extension. I think I may know why he put this long belt on; it makes it easier to get that bolt on from the top.

I’ve also noticed that I will have to remove the lower radiator hose to get the belt in place. Which means estimating fluid volume and new antifreeze. Do yanmar engines require a certain type or concentration?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:15 pm

50/50 on yours. Maybe a B33 belt.

Return to “Tech Support”