Ym240 timing

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

ttschreck
Volunteer Poster

Ym240 timing

Postby ttschreck » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:10 pm

Hi. I am trying to check the timing on my ym240. The tractor runs ok but has no power. The governor surges slightly. I attempted the timing check as the manual says but no matter where I spin the crank the fuel will not stop or slow to a dribble. Any suggestions on what I should do? Thanks

winston
Volunteer Poster

Re: Ym240 timing

Postby winston » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:00 am

A little history maybe. Have you had the tractor a long time and this is a problem that just arose or did you just purchase it and this is what is happening? Have you changed any shims under the pump? Do you have the original Yanmar service manual? No answers, just questions. :mrgreen:

ttschreck
Volunteer Poster

Postby ttschreck » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:07 pm

Hi Winston. I purchased it and it was not running at the time. Previous owner said it was running but the clutch got stuck and he put it up a year or so. When he tried to start it it would not start. He used ether and said that it would run on that only. I figured it destroyed the pistons and after pulling the head I found the pistons cracked and the liners wrecked so I put new ones in. It fired right up but surged like crazy. I pulled the governor cover and found the governor completely loose, the spring all but fell off and the other spring was tampered with. After readjust it ran better but had a slight surge and no power. The injectors were not really dirty but the injection pump was not mounted very tight leading me to suspect it was tinkered with. It would not slow or come to a dribble when it comes to the injection mark or any point. The only thing I could think of was maybe some shims may be missing or the pump may be defective. Thanks for the help

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:12 am

The still present governor surge would lead me to believe something is still not quite right with the governor.

It also sounds like your pump delivery valve or valves is not holding. Have you tried the rollover test on both outlets on the pump? Once the delivery valve closes the fuel flow should stop.
Last edited by winston on Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ttschreck
Volunteer Poster

Postby ttschreck » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:17 pm

Nope only tried the one outlet. Kinda figured I would need to work with the governor a little bit more. Thanks for the help. I will send you the email

Return to “Tech Support”