Yanmar 1610 Head Gasket Replacement Thread

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

jonokimber
Volunteer Poster

Yanmar 1610 Head Gasket Replacement Thread

Postby jonokimber » Wed May 27, 2020 1:51 pm

Hello everyone. Having gained as much knowledge from some excellent topics and replies to my questions, here is my journey to head gasket replacement that may help others in the future.

I've owned my lovely little 1610 for 2 seasons now and I think it may have overheated slightly via a water pump failure. I'm fairly sure the head gasket has blown due to a huge amount of bubbles (like a human blowing bubbles through a drinking straw) in my coolant overflow bottle. It also gets progressively hotter and hotter and doesn't sound like it's firing on all three cylinders.

IMG_6038.JPG
IMG_6038.JPG (93.91 KiB) Viewed 823 times

I ordered quite a few new gaskets, some spare hoses and other bits and pieces from Hoye Tractor and started stripping it down yesterday. First off was the bonnet and fairings then the entire radiator and mount, just because it was only 4 more bolts and gave me more room for the next steps. The water pump and block was next. So effectively the whole cooling system at the front end.

IMG_1385.JPG
IMG_1385.JPG (131.59 KiB) Viewed 823 times

jonokimber
Volunteer Poster

Re: Yanmar 1610 Head Gasket Replacement Thread

Postby jonokimber » Wed May 27, 2020 1:56 pm

Next up were the fuel related pipes. The thermostart pipes needed to be undone, drained and stowed. Then the three actual fuel pipes. I had a bit of an issue undoing the pipes from the pump side. I managed to loosen the bigger fitting underneath the pipe fitting so had to use a 17 and 19mm spanner to hold one whilst doing the other. Having removed the radiator completely I had plenty of room to get spanners in one at a time from the front to avoid having to use a line spanner.

QUESTION - I re-inserted the larger fuel fitting having checked the o-ring. I saw the spring and little valve? item in the main housing. All looks ok, do I need to be concerned about this or torque them to a correct value?

IMG_1390.JPG
IMG_1390.JPG (91.21 KiB) Viewed 820 times

I used some plastic bag patches and cable ties to cover up the fuel ports.

IMG_1395.JPG
IMG_1395.JPG (113.71 KiB) Viewed 820 times

The fuel lines came off the injectors quite easily, a bit of a heave on the spanner and all was good.

jonokimber
Volunteer Poster

Postby jonokimber » Wed May 27, 2020 2:01 pm

Having sprayed WD40 penetrating fluid into the nuts and bolts 2 days before starting I didn't struggle with any of the manifold fixings. The muffler came off easily and the manifold too. One tricky aspect that I will have to remember in reverse is that the exhaust manifold can't come right off the studs until the cylinder head is removed as there is something in the way stopping it sliding off. I think this is the hydraulic feed and pump area in the way. The picture here shows the manifold loose and ready to come off. The fuel lines are also still there, but undone, ready to come off.

IMG_1392.JPG
IMG_1392.JPG (121.53 KiB) Viewed 820 times

jonokimber
Volunteer Poster

Postby jonokimber » Wed May 27, 2020 2:09 pm

The valve / rocker cover came off very easily. I have a new seal for that when it's time to go back on. I love the little rocking cam mechanism in the cover that must depress the exhaust? valves to decompress the cylinders when the lever is pulled. I left all the fixings on the valve cover.

IMG_1399.JPG
IMG_1399.JPG (120.69 KiB) Viewed 820 times

Next off was the rocker arm assembly, three nuts and washers, undone gradually in turn. Then the actual studs followed, thought I may as well get them out of the head too. (they are still there in the pic below)

IMG_1402.JPG
IMG_1402.JPG (126.56 KiB) Viewed 820 times

jonokimber
Volunteer Poster

Postby jonokimber » Wed May 27, 2020 2:20 pm

So, all that was now stopping the cyl head coming off was the little oil line that runs round the back of the head. There's one 13mm banjo nut on the exhaust side of the engine that needs to be removed and also a 13mm (I think) bolt that holds the oil pipe in a P clip on the inlet side of the engine. Here's where I made a bit of a mistake! The banjo came off fine and I gambled that I could use my ratchet spanner (to undo the other bolt on the P clip) assuming the bolt would come out before the top of the bolt hit the firewall / bulkhead of the tractor. I was wrong, and as my spanner was a ratchet one, I couldn't tighten it back up in order to use an open ended spanner. I had to abandon the spanner where it was and undo all the banjos on the entire oil line and remove the whole kaboodle when the cylinder head came off.

In this picture you can see the oil line on the right hand side and you can see my black spanner hanging out on the bottom right!

IMG_1402.JPG
IMG_1402.JPG (126.56 KiB) Viewed 820 times

Here's a close up of my stranded spanner...

IMG_1393.JPG
IMG_1393.JPG (57.44 KiB) Viewed 820 times

jonokimber
Volunteer Poster

Postby jonokimber » Wed May 27, 2020 2:41 pm

So, off with her head! They were some of the toughest nuts to crack with my little 1/4 inch drive socket set but got them all and undid them in turn. Stored nicely in a cardboard sheet in order etc. Ooh, forgot to mention the pushrods and valve end caps all came of with the rocker arm assembly. Pushrods stored in order too.

The head took quite some persuasion to come off, along with the exhaust manifold, the abandoned spanner and the oil line.

It was all a bit messy to determine what may have been the problem with the gasket and i think it was slightly damaged during the removal. Either way there's no going back and it must have been the problem.

IMG_1406.JPG
IMG_1406.JPG (133.73 KiB) Viewed 814 times

Kept all the bits and bobs nice and tidy and in order.

IMG_1408.JPG
IMG_1408.JPG (83.92 KiB) Viewed 814 times

jonokimber
Volunteer Poster

Postby jonokimber » Wed May 27, 2020 2:45 pm

The head itself looks good now I've scraped it off with a 2" wide window scraper. No gouges and plenty of carbon and some old silicon all gone now.

IMG_1410.JPG
IMG_1410.JPG (121.2 KiB) Viewed 814 times

QUESTION - What is underneath this plate on the end of the cyl head? Does it have or need a gasket? The loose bolt is the one I had to undo to get the oil line P clip off.

IMG_1411.JPG
IMG_1411.JPG (88.39 KiB) Viewed 814 times

jonokimber
Volunteer Poster

Postby jonokimber » Wed May 27, 2020 2:52 pm

I've got at least 24 hours until I start on the epic rebuild journey. Waiting for some copper washers on next day delivery and also want to give my nerves some time to calm down. I've got lots of cleaning and prep to do too. I really don't want to have to do this twice!

Here's a pic of the head with the gasket still in place. In retrospect it looks like the front cylinder, left hand side of the picture, was damp and maybe you can see where the gasket is damaged? Any comments?

IMG_1409.JPG
IMG_1409.JPG (127.44 KiB) Viewed 814 times

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Wed May 27, 2020 3:46 pm

"QUESTION - What is underneath this plate on the end of the cyl head? Does it have or need a gasket? The loose bolt is the one I had to undo to get the oil line P clip off."

A gasket should be under it. If it wasn't leaking I would just tighten it back down.

"Here's a pic of the head with the gasket still in place. In retrospect it looks like the front cylinder, left hand side of the picture, was damp and maybe you can see where the gasket is damaged? Any comments?"

Looks like the front cylinder was leaking on top side of your pictures. Looks a little evident in picture without gasket and one with gasket. Be sure to check your head for flatness.
2020-05-27-044436.jpg
2020-05-27-044436.jpg (141.04 KiB) Viewed 803 times

That is a misprint in the 220/226 manual. the tolerance should read .0012" and .004"

jonokimber
Volunteer Poster

Postby jonokimber » Thu May 28, 2020 6:10 am

Thanks Winston, my feeler gauge is arriving later so i'll check for flatness then.

Any ideas on my question about the fuel pump fitting coming loose whilst undoing the pipe nuts? Shall I just tighten it back up?! Is there a torque for those too does anyone know?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Thu May 28, 2020 7:20 am

jonokimber wrote:Thanks Winston, my feeler gauge is arriving later so i'll check for flatness then.

Any ideas on my question about the fuel pump fitting coming loose whilst undoing the pipe nuts? Shall I just tighten it back up?! Is there a torque for those too does anyone know?

29-32.6 ft lbs
2020-05-28-081751.jpg
2020-05-28-081751.jpg (146.14 KiB) Viewed 789 times

jonokimber
Volunteer Poster

Postby jonokimber » Thu May 28, 2020 4:37 pm

Wow, that seems like a whole load of info that has lost me completely. Forgive my lack of knowledge on this area of the tractor, sorry. Can you expand on what you think I may need to do? I undid the fitting underneath the pipe, lifted it up and exposed a spring and saw what sounds like it must be the plunger, it wobbled slightly when I touched it and realigned the spring in order to get the fitting back on.

With respect, as I am grateful for you posting it, the photocopy is very hard to understand with regards to marks and the diagrams. Help!

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Thu May 28, 2020 5:56 pm

I believe #4 under assembly list the torque for the delivery valve nut in question. Just wanted you to know I didn't just make up a number. Forget the rest of the page.

jonokimber
Volunteer Poster

Postby jonokimber » Fri May 29, 2020 7:08 am

winston wrote:I believe #4 under assembly list the torque for the delivery valve nut in question. Just wanted you to know I didn't just make up a number. Forget the rest of the page.

Phew! Thanks again Winston, you're a lifeline at the moment. I was hoping it would just be a matter of re-torquing and hope for the best. Having read about bleeding the system afterwards and how crucial / critical this all is I am very anxious. Though, these things have to be built from scratch and are dry to start with so it's all possible. I think i'll take it slow and one step at a time.

Crump
Volunteer Poster

Postby Crump » Fri May 29, 2020 9:18 pm

im definitely no expert, but if it were me, I would look at getting the head checked for flatness by a machine shop, with proper gear. Having done a head gasket replacement twice now, the first time by using a straight edge to check the mating surface, I can assure you its no fun bolting it all back together and she still blows bubbles.

Return to “Tech Support”