YM276D 4x4 will not engage

Post your questions or problems you are haviing with your Yanmar tractor here.

Moderator: Aaron

Dreamnewmexico
Volunteer Poster

YM276D 4x4 will not engage

Postby Dreamnewmexico » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:54 pm

I just purchased a ym276D at an auction and upon receiving it I realized the 4x4 isint working. I lifted both from tires and they both turn independently (not clockwise/counter clockwise). Other than this issue the tractor works great. Any ideas of what I need to correct this issue ? All you help is greatly appreciated.

Aaron
Site Administrator

Re: YM276D 4x4 will not engage

Postby Aaron » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:03 am

With the tractor in 2wd you will be able to spin the front tires independently so really anything in the 4wd system could cause that. You will probably just have to do some more investigating. It could be that there is a gear or shaft broken or even something missing. We've heard many customers say that, instead of buying a $200 gear or shaft or something, they will just take the tractor to auction. Might be what happened with that tractor.

Dreamnewmexico
Volunteer Poster

Postby Dreamnewmexico » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:20 am

Thank you for the insight. Where should I start the troubleshooting process ?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:20 am

Probably butting in here. If I am understanding correctly you are saying with front end lifted and turning one tire the other does not move. With the drive lever engaged the other tire should turn the opposite direction. If not, you would first need to assure the pinion or input shaft to the front wheel drive is not turning. Might have to remove the drive shaft cover to confirm this. If you find the shaft is turning that will tell you the problem is in either the drive shaft or transmission. If not turning then the problem could be in the differntial, shafts, gearing, etc of the axle. Hope this makes some sense to you.

Dreamnewmexico
Volunteer Poster

Postby Dreamnewmexico » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:45 am

It turns freely when enraged in 4 wheel and when not engaged. As of right now my 4 wheel drive does not work. Thank you for your response. Where do you think I should go from here ?

winston
Volunteer Poster

Postby winston » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:36 am

Not good with words but trying to encourage you to eliminate the drive shaft or transmission as the possible problem area. You will have to slide the drive shaft cover back to do this.

Dreamnewmexico
Volunteer Poster

Postby Dreamnewmexico » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:07 pm

Okay first chance I get I will go through that process snd determine if the drive shaft spins. Thank you Winston

Return to “Tech Support”